FIRE crews were called to a fierce blaze after a suspected arson attack damaged a city centre house.
A total of ten firefighters fought the flames at the rear of a block of flats in Park Street at 10.20pm on Saturday (August 16) after it started on a plot of land off Lock Street.
Firefighters tackled the blazefor about five minutes before bringing it under control, with damage restricted to a crack on the first floor window and burns to the soffit board and guttering.
It is believed household rubbish which included a mattress, furniture, clothing, shoes and cuttings from a bush were used to start the fire.
Crews then checked inside the property for about 45 minutes to check the fire hadn’t spread to the roof.
Police are appealing for any witnesses to the incident after reports of a man wearing dark clothing was seen running from the scene in the direction of Park Street.
The resident of the targeted property had already got himself out after a passer-by knocked on his door to tell him the fire had spread to the back of his house.
Station Commander Adrian Moore praised the officers who attended and said: “It was fortunate the fire was spotted earlier and the fire service called as if it had been left longer it could have had a more serious affect on the adjacent property.”
Police have urged anyone with further information to contact them on the non-emergency number 101 or by calling Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
Det Cons June Cartwright said: “This is a very serious crime that we are taking highly seriously, we are keen to hear from any members of the public that may have information on this incident or witnessed the suspect running from the scene.”